Saturday, December 05, 2009

The XX & Friendly Fires @ the Dise

Hi Boston, snowy evening, huh?

Maybe that's why I'm a little on the lazy side to write this post.. or maybe I'm just doing it now so I don't end up giving up and not uploading these photos and videos at all.


So last night we went to the Paradise to see The XX and the Friendly Fires, and I was pretty excited for this show. Turns out the afterparty at The Pill was more fun than hanging out at a privileged spot at the Dise. But hey, that's just my opinion.

mind the blur, Santa shall grant my new camera wishes soon.

Let's get down to it.

I like The XX, I'm not crazy in love with The XX. Throughout their set, I downed two cans of Red Bull, and still almost fell asleep. Fine, maybe I don't get the genre, or was solely waiting for the hits.. whatever. I wanted to hear Crystalized, and maaaybe You've Got The Love. But I only got a dragged out version of Islands, which pretty much was when I hit the peak of my excitement for that hour and a half. Sorry if I let you down, but apparently, I'm not the only one who felt the same way.





Moving on.

The Friendly Fires are no strangers to this blog. My friend and blog partner Fe has followed the boys' steps around in 2009, and you can find videos and her interview here and here. I saw their performance at Coachella from a distance (while having a partial brain meltdown, due to a 105F heat wave) and sorta remember seeing the lead singer jumping from side to side.

The boys' performance was amazingly energetic, almost a shock to those (meaning me) who were left in a haze by the previous band. Besides making the entire audience d-a-n-c-e, the Friendly Fires were able to lift our spirits and really, really wish we could all shake our hips like Ed Macfarlane does.






It wasn't a bad night, far from that. We all had fun, but I did leave the venue a bit empty-hearted. I guess I was expecting to be surprised and that didn't happen. At least the Friendly Fires lived up to their reputation. My Sao Paulo friends were right, they kick ass.




No comments: