Saturday, November 14, 2009

Winter Passing

**It's hard to return from vacation. It's harder to return from vacationing in a tropical country. Even harder when the place is filled with family and friends that never get tired to spoil you with delicious meals, awesome parties and tons of TLC. Now, it's practically impossible to leave that wonderland to get back on track with work, routine and yes, WINTER. New England Winter. Not that I do not enjoy the time of the year -- it's my second favorite after the Fall. It's just the change of scenario that makes adaptation a lil' bit more complicated. But there's always a way out, isn't there?

In my case, the solution to missing Brazil/winter depression is based on my calendar. Going to the gym also helps, but basically, if I have all sorts of fun stuff scheduled around the clock during the freezing months, I'm ready to go.
Luckily, my friends are no different. When they're not joining my bandwagon, they're coming up with awesome events and small gatherings to drink the low temperatures away.

So we planned a visit to the woman who's now one of our biggest style icons (along with Lady GaGa, obviously): Iris Apfel. The Peabody Essex Museum is hosting the exhibit that takes you on a wild ride through her amazing wardrobe. Insane coats, dresses, jewelry and (yes!) shoes are divided into five separate rooms, and tell a lot about someone who was never afraid to take risks and express her personality and beliefs via fashion. My friend Amy was able to sneak her camera in and take some cool photos, but I got caught right when I tried to snap a shot of Iris' badass leather studded jacket. Too bad. Karen O would be jealous.




**In other related news, I've decided to shake up my holiday decoration with some DIY. Anthropologie's visual team has inspired me to gather friends at home for a cool workshop and try to make our houses look like their AWESOME windows (the outfits can go straight to our closets, thanks):




December 6th, bring ideas and supplies.


**Last but not least, if you're a Fashion Blogger in the Boston area, you should be at least a little curious about this:

Soon, more info at Punky Style, New Brahmin and Jen Loves Kev.

**Next up: battling the winter blues with sewing classes and a roller derby team. I will survive, people.


PS: This post's title is a homage to one of my favorite winter movies of all time. Winter Passing, with my idol (and fashion icon) Zooey Deschanel, tells the story of a girl that returns home to face not only the freezing days of snow, but also family drama and Will Ferrell wearing eyeliner. Netflix Winter Queue!

No comments: